Dual boot Xp win 7

Billp64 19:02 15 Dec 2009

Hi
I have won 4gb memory and win7 prem upgrade.Im running XP SP3 all updates on Dell Dimension 4600 3.06 processor.I have ordered 320 Ide hard drive to put win 7 on hoping to dual boot so not to lose any old programs. Then maybe if all ok after testing just keep win 7.
Will I be able to boot from either system doing it this way. Should the new hard drive be set to cable select as the one in the machine now I presume is master. Any suggestions and help appreciated as to the best way to go. As I am older this will save me buying new computer.
Many tanks
Bill

john bunyan 19:10 15 Dec 2009

I will leave others to suggest how to dual boot with, I assume 2 drives, master and slave. I ran a dual boot of XP and W7 64 bit using 3 partitions, 50 gig each for XP and W7 and "My Documents" common to both. The only problem I encountered were:1. The W7 would only allow 3 out of 4 Gig RAM to be used( There is, I believe, a reg edit for this) and 2. Restore points in W7 were wiped when XP was launched. Again I think this can be sorted if you look in Google. Havin run for 2 - 3 weeks I am now on W7 and able to use full 4 Gig RAM. I had to buy new version of Acronis True Image (version 2010) for W7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?