dual Boot win xp

ej_clan 23:10 25 Nov 2004

I'm using windows Xp Pro and have dual booted the system with 2 hd's. when i boot up i get a command screen which gives me the option to boot to win xp pro or win xp pro is there anyway I can edit the regestry and rename the above to eg Dads Pc

Rtus 23:44 25 Nov 2004

I use 2 drive caddies for my main unit ,finding by using these I avoid any boot up screen/delays it also gives the ability to change to any trial system I want to depending on availability of surplus hard drives,and return to the original immediately when required.drive caddies can be purchased from dabs for around £8-£12 inc pp (or less)>> (If I remember correctly)look into the Boot.ini ,it can be edited in wordpad. (Do save a copy of original first save as Bootold.ini)remember it has to return to the original folder to be activated> should look like >>

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Vindoze

smudge101 23:55 25 Nov 2004

To view your boot.ini file in xp you will have to (in windows explorer) go to tools/folder options. Click on the view tab and deselect the checkbox next to Hide protected operating system files.
In the root of the C drive you will then see a file called boot. As rtus said, open with notepad. you will see something similar to this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Except your will have two lines, multi(0)disk(1)etc.
For the HD your dad uses change the ="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" to whatever you want it to read.
Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?