Dual Boot Systems and Drivers / Software

Taff™ 16:59 07 May 2006

I have come across a Dell computer that has a Win98SE / XP Home dual boot configuration. The Win98SE was installed because of a particular CAD package being unstable in XP.(Haven`t explored the compatibility mode option.)

This is a new one for me so bear with me! Does software need to be installed for each OS. For example Adobe Reader 7 for XP and 6 for 98SE? Similarly a 98 driver for a USB adapter and an XP one as well?

If a program was loaded when booted under 98SE would it be available when XP was booted or would you need toload it again?

Diodorus Siculus 17:03 07 May 2006

A dual boot system is two seperate machines for all intents and purposes. What's installed on one is independent of the other.

If you connect up a hardware device (eg printer) and start Win98, the drivers installed will have to be installed on the other OS as well.

Programs are only available on the OS on which they are installed.

ed-0 17:08 07 May 2006

says

You will have to install it on both operating systems.

As for the USB adapter, 98 should need drivers. XP should have it's own drivers.

Taff™ 17:54 07 May 2006

Thanks for the quick response. The USB adapter is a wireless one incidentally - I should have made that clearer when I posted.

ed-0 19:42 07 May 2006

Then you will need the drivers for the WiFi.;-)

A bit of a pain in the but installing everything twice, but worth it to get that vital bit of kit working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?