Dual Boot removal.

FRANKMAC 22:07 26 Apr 2004

My friend is having a small problem with his PC and wondered if you had any ideas for him. The PC had Windows 2000 installed for a while, with a dual boot configuration with Windows ME
He has now un-installed 2000 but can't find how to remove the dual boot choices function.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 22:11 26 Apr 2004

There is a file called boot.ini on the C drive; create a backup, open it, edit out reference to Win2k.

temp003 03:47 27 Apr 2004

Is ME on the C partition, and did he create the dual boot by installing w2k on another partition, without using third party software?

If so, since he is still getting the dual boot menu, he is still using the w2k boot sector and boot files (which still works).

First make sure that he can boot into ME fine.

If ME is working, get him to prepare a boot floppy for ME, or download and create it from click here

Then restart computer with the ME boot floppy inserted. At the A:> prompt, type:

sys c:

and press Enter. There should be a message saying "system transferred". Remove floppy and restart. Computer should boot straight into ME.

If it succeeds in loading ME, he can delete the files on the C partition: ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini and bootsect.dos

Alternatively, he can retain using the w2k boot files. For this method, don't use the ME floppy and don't delete any files. Just find the file c:\boot.ini, back it up to floppy first, double click c:\boot.ini, which opens in Notepad, then make 2 changes:

Change the line that begins with the word "default" to:

"default=c:\" without the quotation marks.

Under the section [operating systems], delete the line that begins with multi(0)disk(0) etc and which refers to "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional".

Then click File, Save. Restart.

If he created the dual boot in another way, don't use the above methods. Post back with details of how dual boot was created.

FRANKMAC 08:26 27 Apr 2004

Many thanks guys, i'll pass on this info.

FRANKMAC 21:23 27 Apr 2004

temp003

Passed the details of your reply to my friend - the first option you mentioned using the floppy disk worked perfectly - he would like me to passon his thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?