Dual Boot query

Soy (AKA tran1) 00:41 31 Mar 2003

If I installed win98 onto a second partition to my XP, will it dual boot ok? I have boot magic on XP by the way.

I read that Windows 9X must be installed on first partition and XP on second becuase of the NTFS and FAT32 file system difference.

What about installing windows 98 on a second hard drive and then connecting that drive as a slave to the primary (XP) hard drive? Would it boot ok then?

Or will the only option be to reinstall both OS but with 98 first?

I read alot about Windows 98 being the most stable OS for gaming and I have been having quite a few unstabilities with Xp lately. Having noticed Windows 98 soo cheap now and was just contemplating installing it as a second OS dedicated just for my games.

John-259217 03:11 31 Mar 2003

If you use PartitionMagic to set your partitions up it will move XP about for you if needed.

You are correct about BootMagic running from Win98 as it needs to be installed on a FAT partition in order to work, having said that if your XP install was an upgrade it may be using FAT anyway.

I have successfully installed XP with the NTFS file system then used P`Magic 8.0 to create two FAT32 partitions for 98 & ME with B`magic installed to ME. The program suggests the best place to create the partitions then reboots into DOS does the biz and walks you thru the new OS install.

A word of caution tho, I did this with a spare hard drive so it did`nt matter if it worked or not I had no files to lose! Any changes like this could lead to you having to reinstall the whole lot all over again! If this does`nt bother you then have fun.

zanwalk 09:18 31 Mar 2003

I think that your suggestion of installing 98 on the slave drive would be the easiest, as you will disconnect the XP drive while installing 98 so there will not be a conflict. When both drives are reconnected run Bootmagic setup and modify the boot menu. Bootmagic will happily boot OS's from either drive.

Soy (AKA tran1) 13:02 31 Mar 2003

Hi. Thanks!

So it does not matter where I install Windows 98 and XP as long as I have Boot magic and partition magic.

Been reading alot and most say windows 98 must be installed before Xp becuase if it is installed after Xp, it will erase some essential files that XP needs to find.

My last question: IS Windows 98 a more faster stable OS than XP for gamers?

zanwalk 15:51 31 Mar 2003

With Partition Magic you have the facility to 'hide' partitions so that while under normal circumstances you should load 98 before XP, with PM it is possible to do it the other way round. However, in your case you can disconnect the XP drive hook up the slave as master and install 98 on it, then revert it to slave and reconnect the XP drive, this way is certainly the safest as you know that you won't accidentally overwrite XP.

As to games, I'm sorry I can't offer any advice as I don't play games on my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?