DUAL BOOT MANAGER

the-george 21:59 27 Mar 2008

I want to try running a dual boot system with win ME and 2k.

Would a dual boot manager make the task any easier?

Any free ones that available - do not want to pay a lot as i might not like having a dual boot system.

Would it be better to have each of the systems on a separate hd drive?

I am presuming that each os would need its own drivers and own copies of software.

MAJ 22:16 27 Mar 2008

It's been a while, but I think W2K has it's own boot manager. Install ME first.

MAJ 22:21 27 Mar 2008

Remember too, that the W2k partition/drive will have to be formatted as FAT32 in order that ME will be able to 'see' it.

the-george 11:24 29 Mar 2008

Yes, have read up about FAT/NTFS.

Not sure aboutW2K having own boot manager - there will be an option on boot up to choose which to use but changing will involve shutting down and restarting(?). Did find a program called bootswitcher here
click here
It says it will switch o/s on the fly but have not tried it yet.

I expect that each o/s will have to have its own set of drivers installed. I also imagine this will apply to any software applications.

Can someone verify this.Any other info would be welcome.

MAJ 11:38 29 Mar 2008

I'm not sure about "boot switcher", the-george, I've never tried it myself. Yes you will need the proper respective drivers installed for your hardware on each partition/drive. Most software applications will run on either ME, W2K, but again, you will need an installation on each partition/drive.

stylehurst 13:23 29 Mar 2008

Acronis Disk Director comes with its own Boot Manager program, have a look at the Acronis site to get all the info. The program is worth while even if you don't use the Boot Manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?