Dual boot - internet connection

twolf 09:03 15 Oct 2007

Hi

I've recently installed a second internal hard drive.
The original drive runs Vista, the second drive I have installed XP. This is all working fine and I can select which operating system to use on start-up.

My problem is that, on the new drive with XP installed, i can't connect to the internet. I have an 'always on' cable connection and the PC connects to a router. I've been through the set-up up wizard in XP and followed the built in help. When I go to 'network' it seems I am actually connected to the LAN but I have no IP address or server details (which should be filled in automatically) if I click to 'repair this connection', as instructed in the help, I get the message saying could not repair, please see the system administrator.

Technotiger 09:25 15 Oct 2007

Hmm, one would assume you have ticked the boxes to 'never dial a connection' and LAN - Automatically detect settings!

twolf 10:02 15 Oct 2007

Yes, I have. Thanks. It seems that LAN isn't automatically detecting the settings, as boxes for ip address, and server settings are all empty

brundle 10:07 15 Oct 2007

Go to start menu/run, type

Services.msc

Press return

Makes DHCP Client is Started and set to Auto, if not change the settings so it is.

Go to start menu/run, type

cmd

press return

now type

ipconfig /all

at the command prompt and press return

what do you get?

brundle 10:07 15 Oct 2007

Note the space in "ipconfig /all"

twolf 10:33 15 Oct 2007

Hi

DHCP client is started and set to auto.

When I did the ipconfig /all prompt it says:
Windows IP Configuration
but then it is blank where it would usually dislay the settings :-(

twolf 10:44 15 Oct 2007

ooops! Really sorry to waste your time, I've just realized what I've done! I've just found another CD I had with the PC which has the 'XP drivers' on, I was installing the Vista drivers!!! Sorry again!

Technotiger 20:29 15 Oct 2007

Not to worry, as long as all is well now. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?