Dual Boot with Home Premium 32 bit and 64 bit

Teldoc 16:18 04 Apr 2009

I am planning a new PC with Vista Home Premium in 32 bit and 64 bit. I will install the operating systems in 2 partitions on the same disk.

I am wondering - if all my programs should be installed in one partition, say the 32 bit. The ones which can be used for both 32 and 64 bit (the vast majority) can be used what ever the mode and only 32 bit programs will require the 32 bit system. Perhaps the location of the program files does not matter and they can be spread between the 2 partitions.This doesn't seem very clear,I know, but if anybody has gone down this route before I would be grateful for any information and help

Peter 23:02 04 Apr 2009

I've not tried to load the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the OS myself, but I would imagine that you will need to load the programmes you want onto each version that you want to run it on. I don't think sharing programmes between the different OS versions is possible.

I assume that when you boot your system you choose whether you want to run 32 bit or 64 bit. As such each system will not see the other one.

That is how I see it, but if I am wrong I'm pretty sure that someone else, more knowledgeable, will let us both know.

Peter.

brundle 23:14 04 Apr 2009

Peter's right, you can't "share" programs in the same way you can share files. Registry entries and supporting files would be missing from the OS in which you haven't actually installed the product or program.

jimv7 05:15 05 Apr 2009

Also make sure you have signed drivers for the 64 bit, its not as friendly as the 32 bit.

Teldoc 16:05 06 Apr 2009

Thanks for the contributions, I will have the undoubted enjoyment of a double installation!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone