Dual Boot & DOS?

RLMTS 23:49 22 Feb 2008

Hi, I've done a bit of a search but haven't found anything relevant yet.

I currently have to maintain 3 PC's, one running DOS 6.22, one running Win 98SE and the other with Win XP Pro.

(This is because of industrial (legacy) software that is still needed for older machinery that's still in use in many factories)

Is it possible to set up (or build) a PC to Dual (Triple) boot with these OS's?

I am sure I read somewhere about DOS wanting to be at start of HD0? And also problems with Hard Disks over a certain capacity?

Anyone had any experience on this, or know where to point me?

Rich.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 23 Feb 2008

Ok you need a small partition at the begining of the master drive(C:) formatted in FAT, this will hold all the dos programs and the start files for the other operating systems i.e. Autoexec.bat for 98 and Ntldr Ntdetect.com boot.ini for XP and MSdos.sys, IO.sys Command.com etc. for DOS.
The boot loader (menu) to allow you to select which op system will also be on this partition

then two more seperate partitions to install both 98(fat32) and XP (NTFS).

click here

takes you through the procedure.

RLMTS 18:54 23 Feb 2008

Thanks FB,
I've printed it out, and will study it.
Rich

DieSse 22:47 23 Feb 2008

How hard have you tried to run your legacy software under XP?

I've run DOS software, and old Win95 era software perfectly happily under XP. Some just works, some like the compatibilty settings to be adjusted.

woodchip 23:26 23 Feb 2008

Yes, if you use what I use. Acronis Disc Director Suit 10 this as Acronis OS Selector as one of the programs. This is how I did it with Win98se and XP Home using two discs. I already had 98se on the C:\ as my main operating system I do have other Computers running XP Home, but I like 98se. So I Removed the Drive and fitted a new one and loaded XP Home on this drive after I used Disc Director to Partition and format the drive I set it up as a Fat32 so that I could get at the Partitions and files on the 98se disc when I fitted it back in, And I would also be able to get at XP files from 98se
I then shut down shanged the XP drive to Slave and fitted the 98se back as Master. It then booted to 98se when I started the Comp as 98se was Master, I then loaded Acronis OS Selector Dual Boot Program from the Disc Director Suit. When it boots I get a Box that lets me go to DOS or Win98se or XP Home. it also as a box to press to boot from floppy disc.

If I boot to XP I can also Run most programs on the 98se partition without loading them onto XP, just by finding the exe file in the program I want to run and double clicking it. I could and may drag shortcuts to these in XP. click here

woodchip 23:28 23 Feb 2008

PS I removed the 98se drive so that the Boot sector would not be changed on the 98se comp and no XP files would be loaded on the 98se drive

RLMTS 12:12 01 Mar 2008

Thanks DieSse, thanks woodchip.
I'll get back to looking at this asap.
Rich

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?