Dual boot on Advent Laptop affect shop warranty?

spacebod69 07:37 29 Jan 2010

Hi

I might not explain this well but will try.

I want to load Linux onto my Advent laptop, maybe with a dual boot, without wiping my Windows Vista. First, I need to know if the cover I have paid for any laptop problems will be affected by my doing this? I don't want questions asked or service refused, if laptop goes in for repairs at any time, and they find dual boot.

Secondly, I wanted initially to simply use Linux via a home=made usb mem stick. However my friend said that you need a live version but might not be able to save files which are made, such as for word processor on that distro. (Mandriva in this case, if I can use that one for this purpose)

I'm all confused and new to this. I made what I thought was a live usb version on my usb stick, but even with changing the bios order, the laptop won't boot up in dual mode or indeed to find the usb version; just goes straight into Windows Vista.

I know it would be easy to use a CD version for this rather than a mem stick, but I'm just interested in using a stick. And do I NEED to make a new section of hard drive, or can I somehow keep all that I do, on the mem stick? It is a 8GB mem HP stick.

Totally overwhelmed and would appreciate some simple help.

Thanks

spacebod

danielgent 10:43 29 Jan 2010

you can keep everything you do on the memory stick yes. it remembers documents, installed programs, everyting. they don't always work though. old computers don't boot from USB so maybe the laptop you've got doesnt either?

easiest thing would be to just install linux and let the installer do some partitioning and setup grub. installing linux will not affect the hardware warranty. if they tell you it does, which they probably will as every big PC manufacturers warranty department lie continuously, they dont have a legal leg to stand on.

"your harddrive failed because you installed limewire".
i've heard that before!

lotvic 11:39 29 Jan 2010

Why not make a 'sector by sector' complete image of your harddrive using Acronis True Image.
Then you can always go back to the harddrive state that it is in now (before you install a dual boot or anything else)

In any case it is good practice to always have an image to go back to before you make any changes.
The image (.tib file) should be stored on a separate ext harddrive that you can remove for safe keeping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache