dual boot

Lee12 16:56 20 Sep 2007

Hi, I have a laptop that is running WinXP and is Win Vista capable and running on 2GB of RAM. I would like to have a dual boot. I only have (C:) drive with 78.25 GB free space left and 251MB of Unallocated space on it. But when I go into Administrative Tools then into Computer Management and try to create an Extended partition on the 251MB unallocated space, I can only use the space that is available which is 251MB. I would like to create another extented partition and use half of the 78GB from C drive to the extended partition. How do I move half of that 78GB free space to the unallocated space so that I can create an extended drive?
And also would a dual boot effect the performance of my system?

cream. 18:02 20 Sep 2007

I have done exactly what you are trying to do. Unfortunately you need third party software to create a partition on the "C" drive. Acronis or partition magic are excellent for this task, unfortunately they cost. If you have the software then create a partition of at least 20Gb,even better would be around 30Gb.

" How do I move half of that 78GB free space to the unallocated space so that I can create an extended drive? "

You need the software to make a faultless partition that will not damage your data. If you don't have it, you can yellow envelope me.

It's then just a simple matter of booting from the Vista disk , selecting which drive you wish to put it on, then load vista. You then install the drivers and load your programs. When the computer starts you will have the option to boot in to Vista, default, or other operating system ( XP ).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?