dual boot 2000 and xp

antony-332406 16:24 19 Jul 2008

I am trying to dualboot windows 2000 and xp pro.
I have installed the them onto seperate partitions, 2000 on C and xp on D.
I installed 2000 1st and have used it as a single OS for some time.
since installing XP i cant get 2000 to load. it comes up with a message 'windows can to start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
/winnt/system32/config/system
(it may have a leading C, and the slashes sould be reversed dodgy keyboard!>)
I have tried to repair using the repair option on the 2000CD, with no success.
can anone advise?

MsTechie 19:37 19 Jul 2008

Windows 2000 is based on NTFS whereas with WinXP you have a choice of NTFS or the FAT system, what I'm getting at, when you installed WinXP did you choose NTFS or FAT? if you chose the latter then this could be the cause of your problems, I suggest a clean install WinXP first, (because this is the newer OS) then Win 2000 both NTFS.

antony-332406 10:59 20 Jul 2008

I thought you had to install the older O/S first?
all my partitions do run NTFS btw.
i did some more 'repairs' and managed to get the same problem with XP, so i am now running a clean XP on C drive, whith an empty D drive, so i may go your route MsTechie!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 20 Jul 2008

I agree

Older system first

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache