D.top light flashing red all the time-Why please?

buel 12:05 04 May 2009

Hi, my desktop pc's red led on the front keeps flashing for quite a while (10 minutes) after start up and while this is happening the hard drive makes quite a bit of noise, please can anyone tell me why?
Ps- it is a 20gb hard drive, Amd (tm) processor 3000+ 1.80 ghz and has 960mb of ram (physical address extension) if this helps?
Pps- considering the processor is 1.80ghz the pc is very slow even after performing many different scans etc

Woolwell 12:10 04 May 2009

Need to know the OS. If Vista it is probably carrying out searchindexing. There may be other background operations working away.

Technotiger 12:22 04 May 2009

With such a small amount of RAM, I doubt if you are using Vista - however, after start-up all sorts of things are happening in the background, starting all your Services and some programs that run in the background. Also probably your Anti-virus/Malware programs checking updates etc. The red light of course, is just indicating that the hard drive is busy!

CPU of 1.8Ghz is not a lot by today's standards.

Woolwell 12:25 04 May 2009

Thanks Technotiger. Hadn't properly read the specs before replying.
20Gb of hard drive is quite small nowadays. When did you last de-frag and how much room is left?

buel 12:30 04 May 2009

Ok thanks, it is Xp.

buel 12:31 04 May 2009

11gb free in the hard drive and defrag regularly.

Technotiger 14:28 04 May 2009

Anyway, the red light flashing is normal behaviour, nothing to worry about.

If I were you, I would save up my Pennies for a hardware upgrade asap. Ideally a larger capacity hard drive, 3Ghz CPU, as much RAM as motherboard can take - as I said, I would start Saving Pennies!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017