dsl904 and wanadoo

alanfarfield 13:20 16 May 2006

hello all
i would appreciate help in setting up a new dsl904 to wanadoo from scratch.
i'm ok logging in to the router, but have never setup the login settings etc.
ive checked dlink.co.uk and its really the pppoa settings i need help with to configure for wanadoo.
1. in the name ,type and options, what name do i give ?can it be anything i wish?
2.what are the ppp and pvc settings for wanadoo ?
3.anything else i need to setup ?
i woulsd really be thankful for your help
cheers

Woolwell 14:31 16 May 2006

Previous thread has most of the answers.

click here

alanfarfield 15:00 16 May 2006

thanks for that.
but, could you give me all the settings on this page.
click here==

i'm drivig 100 miles tomorrow morning to set one up for a relative, and don't want a repeat visit.
cheers,

Woolwell 15:37 16 May 2006

I left the connection name as PPPoA_0_38
Type is important: PPPoA
The user name is your ISP user name ie [email protected]@fs
Password is ISP password
Remainder of settings can be left as default.
VPI is 38.
Make sure that NAT and Firewall are checked.
Probbaly best to switch off Firewall software when establishing first connections and then turn back on when all is running.
Remember to set up security under setup and wireless settings. You need to decide on WEP or WPA (the latter being better) and how many bits you want to encrypt it with which affects the length of your password in hex.

Taff™ 15:55 16 May 2006

Here`s my low down on the G604T router & USB Adapter in the box:

First of all you should set up the router using the blue cable supplied connected to an Ethernet port – RJ-45 connector not the RJ-11 telephone cable that you would associate with a standard telephone/modem connection. This is recommended but if you don`t have one on the Laptop you`ll need to do it wirelessly anyway. It`s only a security precaution I think.

Install the USB adapter software onto your computer BEFORE plugging in the adapter itself. Reboot and then plug it in. Your computer will recognise the new hardware and install the drivers for it. If you have done it the wrong way round you must remove the adapter, uninstall it from Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Start again!

Open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the router admin pages. On the Setup tab click wireless and ensure that enable AP (Access Point) is ticked and, for the moment security is set to none. Now click the apply button. Don`t forget to save your settings by going to the Tools Tab and select System settings – Save then the Back button that appears on the page (Not the browser back button) then the Restart AP button to reboot the router. You may have to wait for a few minutes and then return to the admin pages. You`re WAN light should now be solid green.

Now go to Wireless Connection 1 on the Setup Tab and set up your connection details as supplied by your ISP.

On the setup tab select wireless in the left menu. Click the WPA radio button and enter your settings. Then click apply. Now go to tools and click system commands and click save all. In a few moments a message will say “Your changes have now been permanently saved.” Click the back button. Now click the restart button and wait, perhaps for as long as a minute or so. You should then be presented with the login screen again. Now try to access the router without logging in and you should be asked to enter the WPA details.

I would strongly recommend that you now change the default login details if you haven`t done so. Anyone that sees your network could guess the IP address, it`s common to a lot of routers and the login factory settings are the same.

Setting up WEP

Access the router admin 192.168.1.1 with http:// before it of course. Go to the setup page and clicking the connection 1 button on the left hand pane. Select the WEP radio button and tick the enable box. Authentication type should be open.

Under select, select the first radio button and then set the drop down box to the right at 64. Type in an encryption key. For example A12345678B using ten hexadecimal keys i.e.0-9 and a-f. Make a note of the key!

Don`t forget to save your settings by going to the Tools Tab and select System settings – Save then the Back button that appears on the page (Not the browser back button) then the Restart AP button to reboot the router. You may have to wait for a few minutes. Now you`ll have to scan for the router on each of your PC`s and enter the same encryption key on each of them. You should be able to add the connection, once it`s established, to the profile which means it will remember it and you won`t have to type in the key every time.

Open the network adapter properties. On the General Tab scroll down to TCP/IP and highlight it then select properties. Make sure that both the choices for "Select automatically" are chosen. Now go to the wireless tab and select advanced button - Select the first radio button - "Any available network - Access Point preferred" and OK. Select your router from the list and go properties. Under Authentication Tab enter your network key. Note again that it is an "Open" authentication. Go to the Connection Tab and tick "Connect when this network is in range".

Suggest you print this out before you go!

alanfarfield 17:06 18 May 2006

thanks everyone for your help.it all went a treat.
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?