DSL Problem

Rhuddlan 17:23 06 Feb 2007

Hi All,

Better late than never but Happy New Year 2007!

I now live in Hamburg and work for Airbus and have recently acquired Broadband, or, as it’s known out here DSL with T Com.
My DSL connection is meant to be 4Mbps, I have an active WLAN connection between my desktop PC and my T Com Router, the signal strength is always excellent and the speed of the WLAN is 54Mbps.

Surfing the net and downloading programs such as AVG, WMP 11 etc is fine, but when it comes to downloading video files and music, the connection seems to take forever to download, it tells me buffering, that usually around 15% and won’t go any further.

I don’t know how to find out the speed of my DSL connection, I have all XP updates applied, have scanned my system with AVG, Ad Aware, Spybot etc and all report no problems. Have two firewalls activated, one built in firewall from the Router and the Windows XP Firewall, both are working properly and again report no problems.

My machine is 2-year-old e machines 5250 which has 160Gb HDD and 512Mb RAM and a 2.6Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor. I always keep it up to date and make sure it’s always in a good clean condition.

Can anyone please advise me further? I am meant to be paying a steady amount of money per month for a fast and reliable service from Europe’s largest Telecom Provider, but it seems like dial up when downloading sometimes, I don’t know what’s going on?

Also MSN Messenger (7.5) keeps signing out.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Mat.

birdface 17:27 06 Feb 2007

Is it thiis type of thing that you are looking for. click here

birdface 17:33 06 Feb 2007

May be you only need one Firewall,And if you want you can up=date to Windows Messenger, I think its 8.1 now.All your contacts etc are updated to w/messenger as well.

Rhuddlan 17:39 06 Feb 2007

Thanks for the link.

Test Results are as follows: -

Download speed - 369Kbps and Upload speed - 536Kbps.

I have no idea how good or even bad this is, all I know is that my DSL connection should be 4Mbps.

Can anyone advise further?

birdface 17:45 06 Feb 2007

I Am With NTL on 2 MB.I just checked mine and am down a bit, Download Speed is 1716 kbps, Upload speed is 192 kbps,Hope that helps,Oh yes ,and a late Happy New Year to you as well,

Rhuddlan 17:49 06 Feb 2007

Thanks for that.

Can anyone help, MSN is signing out at least every 2 mins or less!

And, downloading is taking forever!

birdface 17:49 06 Feb 2007

I think your download speed is very low, You should be 3.000 kbps plus.

birdface 17:56 06 Feb 2007

While in MSN,Try Tools ,Options.Connections,Troubleshoot.See if you can find any problems there.

Rhuddlan 20:24 06 Feb 2007

No problems MSN says, connected and all tests pass.

Can't understand it, I will have to get in touch with T Com and ask why my connection is so slow when it should be 4Mpbs +

Thanks for the help.

Rhuddlan 15:42 09 Feb 2007

This problem seems to be getting more annoyning!
When there is no ie window open or no activity on the computer by the user, the online light on the router goes off and I can't get a connection, but when an ie window is opened or I attempt to download something such as AVG Update, then it connects again. I have FS 2004 and use the real world weather updates and this does not work after a few mins of flying and brings up a message saying something like no Internet connection. And downloading is a nightmare too, I have tried to download i Tunes twice, but the connection cuts off and the downloading stops and I have to start all over again, but as the connection is quite slow too, it takes forever to download and I'm getting very impatient!

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks, Mat.

brundle 15:48 09 Feb 2007

Do things improve if you connect the router and PC via cable instead of wireless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone