Dropping USB hub/connection

raysophie 11:03 10 Dec 2004

Am using AMD Athelon 600 with BT broadband and windows XP home which I have just loaded onto computer. The connection runs Ok for 10-15 mins then I loose the connection. I was using a USB hub which has several lights on it and they all go off and then come back again, have tried direct coonnection to USB on computer but still dropping out. Broadband OK on other laptop.
Any Ideas
Ray

Jackcoms 11:42 10 Dec 2004

Is the USB hub a powered hub?

If not, it may be that you have too many USB peripherals for the power available from the PC.

If so, try a powered hub.

Graham ® 12:23 10 Dec 2004

Via chipset on the motherboard could be the culprit. I copied this fom 'somewhere':

There is a power management problem with some motherboards, including those using the Via KT7 chipset (which is found on several models of motherboard). This causes the USB ports to loose power at apparently random intervals. The symptoms would be that the Broadband ADSL will usually work fine for a short time and then the modem would just switch itself off or lose connection. After a reboot of the computer it will be OK again for a few minutes.

If you experience this problem we would recommend that you seek advice from your computer supplier or purchase an externally powered USB Hub.

raysophie 14:48 10 Dec 2004

Hub is powered so suspect problem with chipset
How do I find out if I have the above chipset?
can I look on My Computer.

LILYROY 19:08 10 Dec 2004

I'm using Star Cam 370+. IT keeps closing down
after about 10mins,when i'm webcaming with Gson.
Any ideas

Noelg23 19:16 10 Dec 2004

not just VIA, but also Intel and SiS are other chipsets that the BT Broadband modem do not like. so to find out what chipset what you have, possibly check your motherboards manual...

Noelg23 19:16 10 Dec 2004

to rectify the problem, you have to update your chipsets from their sites...

Graham ® 19:30 10 Dec 2004

Download and run Belarc Advisor click here and Everest click here. These should give enough information to identify your motherboard.

But with a powered hub, the chipset shouldn't cause this problem.

Graham ® 19:33 10 Dec 2004

Please start a new subject. Like the doctors' medicine, it may not treat your symptoms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?