Dropped network connection

Hogwarts 08:42 31 May 2007

I have just set up a home wireless network between my new PC, running Vista, and my old PC, running XP using a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router attached to the new PC and a Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter. I have had to disable the firewalls to enable file sharing and the network appears to be OK. Problem is that the connection keeps failing which is frustrating midway through Easy File Transfer. The Belkin window shows a strong signal but reports low connectivity and when the connection drops I am not always able to repair it.

Any suggestions?

Technotiger 09:04 31 May 2007

Hi, not sure if this will help, but I recently set up a friends new Vista PC, worked fine to begin with but then started losing her broadband connection, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Not being familiar with Vista, 'twas my first time using it, did as I would have done with XP, i.e. checked all the usual connection parameters in IE Tools etc. All appeared to be ok, but the dropped connections continued. I then had a look in Vista's Control Panel, Administration/Services (can't remember exact wording's in Vista) and in Services found that Connection was set on Manual, changed this to Automatic and this appears to have cured the problem.

I do not like Vista - cannot understand why names of items we are all familiar with had to be changed - Outlook Express = Windows Mail, Add and Remove in Control Panel = Programs and Features ... why, why, why! There may be other name changes, but I don't know.

Hogwarts 21:41 03 Jun 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. My connection is set to manual but is is not the broadband connection I lose but the home network. IT guy at work reckons it's the USB Adapter so I've created a wired network temporarily and it works fine.

I tend to agree with you about Vista but I suppose I'll get used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?