dropped laptop wont start up - toshiba satellite a

rippersgroupie 15:36 03 Jan 2009

hi

my laptop got knocked over and fell about 2 ft...
this is what happens when I turn it on...

the windows error recovery message comes up giving the options to launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

in both options the following happens...

it says 'windows is loading files' the the loading bar that is green and moves along sideways comes up for about a minute then just goes to a blank screen.

The laptop is still on, the screen is sort of lit but just blank.

Have tried numerous of the options when selecting f8 during the inital startup but they all have the same outcome.

Is there anything I can do..!?
Also, if there is anything i can do, will this lose what is on my harddrive?

Any advice would be hugely appriciated.

Thanks

Pamy 15:38 03 Jan 2009

Try to get the HDD manufactures diagnostic download onto a disk , then run that to check out the HDD

kindly 15:41 03 Jan 2009

If you are confident enough I would open the laptop up and make sure that all the conections for the hard drive are fitted ok and that the processor is seated. My son dropped his of his knee and it unseated the processor. At least he thinks it was that because he pushed all his conectors about and after it worked ok.

rippersgroupie 15:43 03 Jan 2009

hi pamy - how would i do this?
thanks

provider 2 15:46 03 Jan 2009

You might want to try re-seating the memory module which can sometimes be dislodged with a knock.

Here`s a little video of how to do that from HP. Yours could well be similar. You may have to wait up to 30 secs for it to load before pressing the play buttons:

click here

Pamy 15:57 03 Jan 2009

you will have to find out the manufacturer of your HDD ie. Maxtor, Seagate hitachi etc. then you log onto their web site and look for your HDD and their diagnostic software. you download this software to a computer and install it on a disk(floppy or CD). you then boot up your computer with this disk in the drive and follow the instructions.

Technotiger 17:07 03 Jan 2009

If it is not possible to get it started, you could put the hard drive into a USB Enclosure, where you may be able to recover anything important to another PC.

click here

woodchip 17:41 03 Jan 2009

most likely problem is the hard drive got damaged. you could try removing the drive, then refit it and try repair once more

rippersgroupie 17:47 03 Jan 2009

hey
i've unscrewed the 3 covers on the back but i'm not really sure what i'm looking at or how to remove anything without causing damage

Technotiger 18:30 03 Jan 2009

Look for your own model here and download instructions for removing hard drive ...

click here

rippersgroupie 16:50 08 Jan 2009

hi

just had a thought,
what would happen if i was to put the harddrive out of the dropped laptop into my old laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?