Drives and USB

Muergo 11:09 04 Oct 2009

In having to open computer and disconnecting various items from USB sockets, I found that one of my external drives has changed letter.
I only discovered it when Acronis suddenly indicated that my scheduled backup had failed.

When replacing cables into USB's is it essential to put them back in the same socket, this is the only reason I can think of as to why the drive changed from F to G

knockin on 11:17 04 Oct 2009

I have, also, experienced this and do not know why it happens. I assume the OS simply allocates to the first available letter.
Did you know, however, that you can change the letter back to the original, if you wish?

Muergo 15:18 04 Oct 2009

I am going to change over my two internal drives as advised on my other thread about installation, but will make a note of which sockets to replace the externals in. No-one has yet said if it matters what USB sockets you use for any particular application, my computer handbook says don't use the front ones for some items but doesn't say why they are different from the sockets on the back, they are all USB 2.0

Sea Urchin 15:24 04 Oct 2009

Yes, it is always advisable to use the same USB port that you originally used when connecting the hardware. It can often fail to recognise it in a different port and allocate a new drive letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?