Drives not playing discs, or floppy

Baskerville 22:45 02 Aug 2006

Hi All,

My mate rang tonight to ask me to post on here, he said his DVD RW and his DVD ROM plus his floppy drive are not working the drawers will open but when he inserts a disc they will not play he thinks the discs are not spinning I could only advise him to check in device manager that everything appeared ok no exclamation marks, he says the drive light comes on but will not play Music or DVDs, as he plays a bit of music on his PC he is stumped as to what has gone wrong, can anybody help out ? he is on XP,

Many thanks,

Baskerville.

Stuartli 23:12 02 Aug 2006

First thing is to check that the connections and leads are firmly attached.

Then, in Device Manager, Uninstall each drive in turn and reboot between each uninstall.

Windows should Find New Hardware and in the case of the optical drives reintall the basic CDROM driver (all that is required).

woodchip 23:14 02 Aug 2006

In Device Manager he needs to remove them then restart comp then try again after they reload. It may be a Ribbon Cable problem as he any spare that he can try

Baskerville 23:21 02 Aug 2006

Thanks Stuartli and Woodchip, will give that a go in a day or two and will get back to you.

Baskerville.

Baskerville 20:06 03 Aug 2006

Hi,

Done what you asked, taken out the drive and re-booted but the comp did not say 'found new hardware' so perhaps it's a ribbon cable problem ? light on the drive come on for a few seconds then goes off and nothing then happens, what do you reckon ?

Baskerville.

Terry Brown 21:48 03 Aug 2006

If the CD ,DVD & Floppy drives are not working, I would suspect a major software or hardware fault.

Is the computer having trouble booting up, (i.e. faint screen, slow boot), I would suggest you are not getting enough power to the system, Can ne 'borrow' a power pack (PSU)to test his system (or look for a powr pack on somewhere like click here microdirect, where they are quite cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017