Drivers and XP update

Bren.ie 15:05 30 Aug 2004

I want to over-write my Windows XP Home (OEM) with Windows XP Professional.

Is there an "Easy" way to copy / save drivers or will XP Professional pick up existing drivers automatically?

powerless 15:22 30 Aug 2004

Could you be more specific?

Where do you want "...to over-write my Windows XP Home (OEM) with Windows XP Professional." ?

Bren.ie 15:54 30 Aug 2004

I have Windows XP home edition on my computer. Unfortunately it is an OEM edition and supplied on a recovery disk that came with the computer.

Using the recovery disk deletes everything else installed after disk was created.

I have purchased Windows XP Professional and want to overwrite the Windows Home Edition that is currently on my hard disk (C: drive). I will then back up my Hard Disk in case of future disasters.

My question relates to whether I can save the drivers that are currently on my Windows XP home edition so that I can use them with XP Professional or will the XP Professional install procedure pick them up automatically.

Bren.ie 15:56 30 Aug 2004

I have Windows XP home edition on my computer. Unfortunately it is an OEM edition and supplied on a recovery disk that came with the computer.

Using the recovery disk deletes everything else installed after disk was created.

I have purchased Windows XP Professional and want to overwrite the Windows Home Edition that is currently on my hard disk (C: drive). I will then back up my Hard Disk in case of future disasters.

My question relates to whether I can save the drivers that are currently on my Windows XP home edition so that I can use them with XP Professional or will the XP Professional install procedure pick them up automatically.

Irishman 16:47 30 Aug 2004

If you can, save them, as drivers for XP home will work just as well with XP pro. Any that can't be saved download them again although XP should have a lot of them already.

If I was you I would do a new install of XP formatting the hard drive as I go. You will get rid of a lot of problems that way and it will work much sweeter. Make sure to backup your documents folder and anything else you want to another hard drive if possible first though.

Bren.ie 16:51 30 Aug 2004

Sorry Irishman but how do I save my Windows XP home Drivers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone