Drivers need renewing at every startup

User-B42B3C05-7E65-4090-A1EA1082389CAA98 12:34 24 Feb 2010

My recently-acquired desktop runs Windows 7 and has 4 USB ports. These are connected to an external hard drive, a memory stick, a drawing tablet and a 4-way hub itself connected to a couple of memory sticks and a printer. When I fire up the desktop none of these peripherals are visible. I have to use the troubleshooter to fix the drivers. A message states that there was a driver problem with the Intel 10H10 Family USB Universal Host Controllers 3A34, 3A35, 3A36, 3A38, 3A39, 3A3A, 3A3C, as well as the USB Mass Storage Device.
It all works eventually but why do I have to do this every time I start up?

Sea Urchin 12:59 24 Feb 2010

Is your 4-way hub separately powered? If not USB controllers might be a bit underpowered.

The 4-way hub is not separately powered, as far as I know - which isn't much! I didn't realise that some hubs would require a separate power source.
Still, does that explain why none of the remaining 3 USB connections on my pc are detected?

retep888 14:34 24 Feb 2010

Try connecting your printer to the desktop onboard USB rather than a non self-powered hub.

I prefer a good quality PCI usb card click here to a powered USB hub such as this one click here

I've moved my printer to an onboard USB but I still need to re-install drivers.

I will buy a powered hub and see if that solves the problem. Thanks to Sea Urchin and retep888

I've fitted a powered hub but makes no difference.Every time I start up my pc I have to re-install all drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone