Drivers missing

Billawa 00:41 25 Jan 2006

I have two optical drives - DVD-ROM BDV316E and NEC D VD-RW ND-3540A. On booting up tonight neither drive came on-line. The same error message appeared for both drives - "Windows cannot load the device for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing. Code 39". I have tried updating the drivers but Windows tells me the existing one is the best! I have uninstalled the drives and then used "Add Hardware" and the same error message has appeared. I have also used "System Restore" but with the same result.

I am running Widows XP with SP2. No problems until tonight with either drive. Any suggestions?

Skyver 00:48 25 Jan 2006

Do they work if you boot in Safe Mode? Can you still boot from a CD (the XP CD for example)?

Skyver 00:51 25 Jan 2006

Here's one fix which is worth a try, although only the symptom matches - click here
or this
h-tp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;q314060
(replace h-tp with http)

Billawa 15:08 25 Jan 2006

Skyver
The link you gave provided the answer - thanks! I had uninstalled "InCD" and the link helped me find a registry entry which related to the programme. I deleted the Filters as in the article and - bingo - the drives re-appeared. Thanks again! PS I have made a note of the M/S link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?