drivers for HP Printer

hawthorn59 18:10 17 Apr 2008

Hi

I have a simple HP F380 printer. Just got a new laptop and couldnt find the CD to install the printer on it. So I just plugged in the USB cable and lo and behold it installed the printer! And it printed no problem!

As I was rejoicing at this rare occurence of technology actualy doing what it was supposed to do without causing much stress(!) it occured to me that I was almost out of black ink. Which I am.

Now, the last time,on the old laptop, the HP showed me a warning, but today there was none. So Im just wondering is it properly installed. In printers it just says F300 series, and i could find a "colour management" tab, but no "ink indicator" section.

Any ideas?

Thanks

h

alan2273 18:29 17 Apr 2008

Your operating system loads generic drivers to allow the printer to run.
The other drivers you need are on the CD.
But you can get the drivers you need from here.
click here

Quiet Life 18:30 17 Apr 2008

Windows contains generic drivers for many printers . These do not give the full functionality available with dedicated drivers.
Try the HP site.

Sea Urchin 18:43 17 Apr 2008

A choice of operating system

click here

hawthorn59 18:50 17 Apr 2008

Thanks all.
That explains it.
Sea Urchin I went to your Vista link; there are 3 choices,

HP Full Feature Software and Drivers (March 07)

CD-HP Full Feature Software and Drivers (June 07)

Hp Printing Diagnostic Utility (Jan 08)

Im thinking I dont need the CD one, so maybe 1 and 3 ?

thanks

h

Sea Urchin 22:03 17 Apr 2008

Yes, you need the drivers (first download) - the second is for ordering on CD which you don't need, and the third is a diagnostic utility to sort out any problems with the printer which might be useful in the future. So 1 and 3 as you say.

hawthorn59 00:57 28 Aug 2008

Hi

Im about to at last download the required drivers. Is there any particular way they should be installed...ie printer on or off, connected or not, or does it matter? The printers actually working at the moment, just probably not all functions.

thnx

h

Graham. 08:34 28 Aug 2008

Normally, you shouldn't connect the printer until prompted during installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone