Drivers - After Formatting Hard drive

gplatt2000 18:50 26 Apr 2003

Hi. I am running Windows 98 on an old (5years ish) computer and have bought a new HD.
After formatting my hard disk (bare in mind the old drive will be set as slave and have all its data removed) and installing Windows 98, will I need drivers for all my hardware or will the computer work (not bothered about working at its best, just at all) without them. NOTE - there will be no internet connection available. Thanks in advance, Gavin.

gplatt2000 18:56 26 Apr 2003

Forgot to mention that the reason for doing this is that, even after using Belarc Advisor, I couldnt find out information and drivers for my hardware. Thanks again, GAvin

Rayuk 19:03 26 Apr 2003

You can use the hard drives software to copy everything over from your old drive onto new one along with all the drivers etc

gplatt2000 19:43 26 Apr 2003

Thanks RayUK but I dont actually want to keep all the other information- I want to start a complete new fresh, clean, empty hard drive. Sorrt not to be clear enough, thanks again.

Tj_El 20:33 26 Apr 2003

Your computer will work alright but your other hardware e.g. printers, scanners, cameras, etc might not function as effectively as they could.

Having said that though, if your old setup was running ok with the drivers it had, there's no reason why the new set-up won't.

Regards

Tj_El

gplatt2000 20:46 26 Apr 2003

BUt will the basic things (mobo, gphx, monitor CD drive etc.) work after completely wiping all data off the hard drives - will windows detect them and use appropriate drivers without needing to connect to the internet? Thanks once more, Gavin

Tj_El 20:52 26 Apr 2003

Yes. Windows comes with drivers for such basic hardware so they will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?