Drivers

menopaws1947 18:49 07 Dec 2007

Hi again, Huge probs with new Dell Inspiron 1501. I went ahead and bought windows XP (not from Dell as their's was £99.99)and it installs well. Huge problem is cannot find the exact drivers needed, dell won't tell me which ones I need and where to get them unless I pay for the information. Found some in the Dell tech support but didn't work, I need Base system device/Ethernet controller/network/PCI device (2)/Sm Bus controller (VGA compatible)
Failing that, if I buy an external hard drive, can I leave the Vista in the old drive and put XP in the external drive ??????
Thanks
SUe

sinbads 19:02 07 Dec 2007

you could try click here it should find the drivers for you

Terry Brown 19:09 07 Dec 2007

The problem is Dell have special software that only Dell supplies --Not on the standard Windows CD.Contact me (yellow box)as I may have some drivers you can use.

Put 'DELL menopaws1947' in the subject box
Terry

menopaws1947 19:30 07 Dec 2007

HI both thanks for advice, will look in driverscan sinbad, think i have been in most sites today
Sue

Totally-braindead 19:39 07 Dec 2007

These seem to be the drivers and I found them in about 2 minutes from the Dell site click here=

Totally-braindead 19:41 07 Dec 2007

Don't see why you have to pay as they are freely available

menopaws1947 20:12 07 Dec 2007

This morning I downloaded all those drivers and put them on a disc. I installed XP and put the disc in, when I tried to install the drivers it didn't work. I don't know if I did something wrong.I downloaded them and tranferred them to a disc.
I phoned Dell before installing XP, just to check what drivers I needed (I was through to the hardware dept) they said they would put me through to the software dept, but as I hadn't bought my XP from Dell, they would charge me for advice - I said it was blackmail and a few other things.

MCE2K5 20:22 07 Dec 2007

"when I tried to install the drivers it didn't work".

Just run the Driver files, They are SFX Archives.

Install drivers from where they are UnArchived to your hard drive.

menopaws1947 20:31 07 Dec 2007

SFX archives and UnArchived eeek what does that mean !!!

rdave13 21:02 07 Dec 2007

Try windows update. Download the old favourite everest home; click here . Click on the links given in everest. It might not be supported but still works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone