DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

hoverman 11:42 28 Nov 2003

This message has just reared its ugly head again. In a previous thread I mentioned that I was getting this error message during a restart or shut down of my PC after a session playing the game “Splinter Cell”. It never appeared at other times and had not appeared since I finished and uninstalled the game - several months ago.

I have just purchased and installed the game “Broken Sword – The Sleeping Dragon” and guess what? Yes! the message now pops up when I restart or shut down the PC. As with “Splinter Cell”, it only occurs after playing a session of the new game.

The message advises removing any hardware or hardware recently installed but since I have forked out hard earned cash to buy the game I do not wish to remove it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know others have reported the message occurring at other times, but mine is ALWAYS after playing a commercial game.

I am running XP Home with a NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti 4600 card with driver 52.16. There are no problems showing up in Device Manage and no known conflicts.

hoverman 11:44 28 Nov 2003

Strange, the little boxes in my thread were typed in as quote marks.

alcudia 12:17 28 Nov 2003

It's a driver problem. Is there more info further down on a line beginning STOP and also the line under that, which may name the offender.

click here

Some advice given on a similar posting by spikeychris.

The little boxes have been around for a while now. Did you type the posting in Word?

hoverman 12:31 28 Nov 2003

Yes I did compose my thread in Word. I will have to wait until I get the message again before I can check the line beginning STOP. Incidentally, the last part of the message refers to dumping physical memory to disk. On a few occasions I lost patience in waiting for it to complete and pressed the restart button to reboot the PC. After this PC shut down without the message popping up. It it wise for me to interrupt the memory dump this way? I have never had any problems after doing so, but maybe I have been lucky.

hoverman 16:12 28 Nov 2003

After STOP it reads: 0x000000D1(0x00000000,0x00000000,0xE2427D86)

The next couple of lines refer to dumping of physical memory to disk.

myball123 21:06 29 Nov 2003

Hoverman

I had the same error message come up a couple of days ago whilst saving a game of Championship Manager 03/04.

I posted in the SI Games forums and was advised that this was indeed a driver problem.

Do you have a Speed Touch USB Modem by any chance? Apparently the early drivers for this modem were known to cause this problem.

If so try the lastest drivers available from speedtouch.com. Version 2.01 I believe.

I uninstalled my modem and then re-installed it and the problem has gone away.

Hope that helps

Simon

hoverman 21:19 29 Nov 2003

Yes I do have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem. The installed driver version is quoted as 201.2.0.0 in Device Manager. I will see if there is a later driver available.

The issue is not really that much of a problem since the error message only crops up after playing a game and then only when shutting down or restarting. I can use my PC for all other functions, including playing DVDs, without it appearing. I am just curious as to why a commercial game is the only software on my computer causing the driver conflict.

Thanks for your suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?