Driver updating

darkmaruk 23:34 05 Feb 2009

What is the best way of updating all my drivers?
a)use device managers updating option

b)go to the manufactors website and install the drivers from there

Also does anyone know any good programmes that i could use to check the versions of my drivers and if any updates are avaliable

beeuuem 00:50 06 Feb 2009

Filehippo click here will tell you if any updates are available but not the current versions.
SIW click here will tell you (under installed programs) the version currently installed.

gengiscant 09:04 06 Feb 2009

This is quite useful,and free.
click here

DieSse 11:49 06 Feb 2009

"b)go to the manufactors website and install the drivers from there"

That's what I do - and I trust my judgement rather more than software.

gazzaho 19:36 06 Feb 2009

Same here DieSse, I always update drivers manually, much less chance of getting the wrong one that way. I have to be honest I've never tried the programs that do this so can't say if they're accurate or not.

darkmaruk 01:01 09 Feb 2009

Thanks guys,one other question,how can i go about updating my BIOS ive heard it can be very damaging if done wrong

gazzaho 02:03 09 Feb 2009

If your machine is working with no problems I would advise against flashing your BIOS, simply because you can end up with a lump of scrap if things go wrong. If you are having issues and feel a BIOS update would solve them I would advise contacting the motherboard tech support and ask their advice as you need to be really sure you download and apply the right update.

Updating the BIOS is not like applying a driver update as you may not be able to recover if it fails or if you apply the wrong file for your motherboard. I've flashed the BIOS on my computers in the past with no trouble but it can be a nerve wrecking experience until you get to a windows screen and a workable computer.

If you are in dire need of a BIOS update then make sure you know the exact file you need and the exact process in order to apply it. If you're only doing it for the sake of it, I would think long and hard on whether to proceed.

User-1229748 02:39 09 Feb 2009

as above i really would stay away from flashing your bios,and i've always just updated drivers if they've come as windows updates and if they mess anything up i've gone back and installed from the hp website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?