driver updates

chrisjohn 20:47 26 Mar 2007

is their any programs which will scan ur pc and update your drivers auto for you.

Totally-braindead 20:56 26 Mar 2007

There are a few but personally I had problems with the ones I tried so subsequently couldn't recommend any of them.
I only update drivers when I need to as my PC got really mucked up a couple of years ago with me updating to the latest drivers everytime they came out.
If you're on XP when you check for windows updates theres updates there for some of your hardware and software including drivers.

GaT7 20:59 26 Mar 2007

That kind of driver update may be dangerous as none of them are perfect & may cause more harm than good. If your system is working fine, let it be.

If you'd like to see what needs updating, here's one free scan click here, but you need to pay to download the drivers.

If you'd like to update them anyway, tell us what needs updating after the above scan & we can find drivers for you for free. We may not be able to find every one, but we'll try our best.

Again consider that you may make things worse by installing updated drivers unnecessarily. G

chrisjohn 21:17 26 Mar 2007
  chrisjohn 21:24 26 Mar 2007
  chrisjohn 21:24 26 Mar 2007

crossbow thanks for ur help

GaT7 22:02 26 Mar 2007

In the scan, click on the icons situated immediately to the LEFT of the components requiring updates to see the latest versions required & do a search for them (preferably excluding the version number initially) at click here.

As I'm unable to view the latest versions required, I tentatively offer these, which may be the latest for 2 of them (download links at the bottom of each page):

* Realtek_LAN_5.663.exe (for "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC"): click here. Btw, Realtek lists the same version: click here.

* ATI SMBus - v5.10.1000.7: click here

Set a System Restore point before installing each just to be on the safe side. Windows may set a restore point automatically anyway, but do it manually just to be sure.

I'm working on locating an update for the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. In the meantime, try right-clicking it in Device Manager, selecting Update Driver & following the wizard. G

Totally-braindead 22:07 26 Mar 2007

I'm always cautious about any program that tries to offer me anything - for a price.

I'm especially hesitant about updating anything for the sake of it when my PC is running fine.

The drivers I can see appear to be some of the motherboard drivers, and I presume from the mention of the graphics, a mobility ATI 200 that its a laptop.

So give us the make and model number of your PC and we will provide a link to the manufacturers website where you can check to see if there is an updated driver and download them for free if you so wish.

I would never download drivers from anywhere other than the original source, you don't know what you are downloading.

I've heard of this program you are using driveragent and haven't used it myself but I personally do not trust any of these programs.

If you find what you actually have in the way of hardware you can get all the drivers for free. To charge someone to download something that you can get for free seems to me to be rather immoral.

Its up to you.

chrisjohn 22:54 26 Mar 2007

thanks for ur help upto now,pc is hp pavilon zv 6000

GaT7 18:37 27 Mar 2007

"I'm always cautious about any program that tries to offer me anything - for a price."
- I agree. But who usually provides a clues to the fix - in this case the version numbers of the drivers required? And as I said in my 1st post, one can get them for FREE.

"I'm especially hesitant about updating anything for the sake of it when my PC is running fine."
- Well, I shared more or less the same sentiment in my 1st post.

"I would never download drivers from anywhere other than the original source, you don't know what you are downloading."
- The versiontracker site I linked to is good - I've used them before.

"I've heard of this program you are using driveragent and haven't used it myself but I personally do not trust any of these programs."
- I've used it & found many free drivers from the version numbers they provide. 6 of them were correct, 2 'obscure' (probably unimportant) ones I couldn't find updates for - so I've left these alone.

"If you find what you actually have in the way of hardware you can get all the drivers for free."
- That's what I said in my 1st post. Well, more or less!

"To charge someone to download something that you can get for free seems to me to be rather immoral."
- Yeah, I agree, & many gullible people probably fall for it. Fortunately one has the choice not to buy as well.

I've found setting a SR point (mentioned in my 2nd post), helps in case something goes wrong. Nothing did in this instance, but I've successfully used SR to revert back when driver installs (graphics/sound/etc ones) got messed up in the past. There's also the 'Roll Back Driver' feature in Device Manager but I've hardly ever used it. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?