driver updates

MICKY BOY 16:01 08 Nov 2006

Hi All,
Would like to reformat my hardrive as I feel that it is not running Windows XP correctly after a friend installed a new hardrive and reformatted the hardrive for me.
I only have the recovery disc that came with the computer many years ago with XP on it.
If I install using this CD- Rom recovery disc I can then update to SP2 on the internet.
Can anybody advise how I can update all the various drivers in the computer. As all the cd, dvd, motherboard etc have been altered by various engineers over the years. Is there software that I can buy, that will check the computer and update new drivers.

Regards

Mick

Stuartli 16:08 08 Nov 2006

The main drivers most likely to need updating are the motherboard, graphics card, sound card and similar components.

This is best done via the website of each component manufacturer.

Regarding optical drives (both CD and DVD) only the basic Windows CDROM driver is required in both cases and is installed automatically.

The operation of CD and DVD rewriters is controlled by burning software such as Nero, whilst DVD films can be shown using, for instance, PowerDVD.

MICKY BOY 16:47 08 Nov 2006

Stuartli
Thanks for your advice.
I don’t know what has been installed over the years, make, model etc.
I thought that if I could just install a software and have sound cards, graphics card etc checked and updated it would be the simplest way for me.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mick

lenc 16:49 09 Nov 2006

Have a look at Driver Genius. I've never used it myself but it may help save and then restore your current drivers. There are other products, some free, that will do the same thing. Search various download sites or use Google.

VoG II 16:51 09 Nov 2006

How about click here

Stuartli 17:36 09 Nov 2006

You can use either Windows own System Information or, for even more detail, SIW.See:

click here

MICKY BOY 18:33 09 Nov 2006

Lenc - VoG™ - Stuartli

Thanks for your advice over drivers, I did not realize that you had added more responses to my question as I had to go out.

Once again thanks all.

Mick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?