Driver Updater

dads3a 15:48 16 Nov 2006

According to "Driver Detective" I have 17 out of date drivers and 1 device without a driver.

Is there any freebies out there for updating these drivers.

It also has to pretty easy to use as I've never updated drivers apart from the Windows way.

wotbus@ 15:55 16 Nov 2006

Is everything working normally or do you have problems?

sunny staines 15:55 16 Nov 2006

type in the name and version numer of the driver in google tofind the makers web site where the driver should be free to download do that for each driver. TAKECARE TO CHECK VERSION NUMBERS AND HARDWARE ON YOU PC AS THE WRONG DRIVER COULD CAUSE A CRASH.
hope this helps.

dads3a 15:58 16 Nov 2006

Everythings normal. Just can't play a lot of games from 2-3 years ago. JUst wondered wether updating all the drivers would sort a few things out.

I'm running a Toshibs Equium M50-216. Intel Graphic Chipset 915

wotbus@ 16:07 16 Nov 2006

Windows [you don't say which!] comes with loads of generic drivers. Driver Detective will check all your drivers, most of which you probably never use anywayt so it doesn't matter if they are out of date. As it's just the games which seem to give trouble, my advice would be to go the the relative game site for advice. It may well be you need a "patch" rather than a driver. Caution should be exercised as sunny staines points out.

dads3a 16:11 16 Nov 2006

Ok thanks. I'll try the patches

gudgulf 16:14 16 Nov 2006

Your graphics is an onboard chip which does not have hardware support for pixel shaders and T&L (transform and lighting)

Many modern games require these and wont run without them.

Driver updates and game patches may help with some games.....say which ones don't run and we should be able to help.

Some games,however,wont run whatever you do and the 915 chipset is very underpowered for more recent games.Those that do work may run very poorly.

dads3a 16:59 16 Nov 2006

Battlefield Deluxe edition. Wouldn't mind getting this to work. The rest can get sold.

Battlefield just crashes to the desktop after the first screen

gudgulf 18:01 16 Nov 2006

I had that problem with Battlefield 1942.

It can happen with screen refresh rates other than 60Hz and with certain drivers for VIA soundchips.The later doesn't apply to you.

Try setting your monitor to 60Hz refresh rate and look through click here for all manner of answers to problems with BF1942.

Other than that your graphics does support BF1942.

Listed in click here

What sort of frame rate you will get I don't know but with the refresh rate fix it should at least run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?