Driver Update on Windows Update

Gaz W 12:08 19 Sep 2003

I have all the updates for Windows XP Pro, but in the Driver Updates category there is an updated driver for my onboard network adapter:

"VIA Technologies, Inc. network software update released on May 30 2003"

The default Microsoft driver that was there when I first installed Windows didn't work properly, and I installed the driver from the Abit driver CD. I did have problems with getting this computer onto the network which are now sorted out.

Would it be a good idea to install this update, since it is from VIA Technologies, or should I just leave it (since everything is now working OK)?

AndySD 12:09 19 Sep 2003

Leave it ... if it becomes a problen then go to the via site for it.

Gaz W 14:17 19 Sep 2003

Alright I'll just leave it. I don't think there will be a problem with the driver I have so it's not worth the risk!

Thanks,

Gaz

-pops- 14:27 19 Sep 2003

I've always been disappointed with drivers downloaded from the Windows update site.

If M$ say there is a driver update available, I go to the hardware manufacturers site to download it. after all, the manufacturer knows best about his product.

hoverman 14:41 19 Sep 2003

Back last year Windows Update advised me that there was a driver update for my Alcatel USB Broadband modem. I downloaded and installed it and had nothing but trouble, so had to revert back to the original.

I agree with -pops-, always go to the manufacturer's site.

mikef. 17:56 19 Sep 2003

Update continuously tells me that there is a more up to date version of my nVidia driver even though mine, updated from nVidia, is more up to date than their version, so I just ignore it.

Gaz W 19:41 19 Sep 2003

I'll leave it then. I didn't think it could be as good as the one I have, and my driver is probably newer anyway.

Thanks,

Gaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?