Driver Situation After Reinstalling Windows XP

gcs_uk 19:42 02 Aug 2005

My daughter has a Imedia Packard Bell and recently they did a reinstall of the operating system using the red recovery disk that came with the PC (The PC is going on four years old).

However from what she tells me the drivers for the monitor have not been reinstalled so everytime they turn the PC on the monitor switches on then at a certain point the screen goes blank.

So my question is how can I get the drivers reinstalled and why would they not be automatically installed.

The monitor works when you first boot it up so I am 99% sure it is a driver issue.

Thanks for any assistance.

selfbuild 19:59 02 Aug 2005

Try starting by click here

Eric10 20:18 02 Aug 2005

You say 'the monitor goes blank at a certain point'. If that point is just where the desktop should be appearing then it is most likely to be the graphics driver at fault. Monitors normally work perfectly well without special drivers. Try booting up in Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly as the PC boots up to get the startup menu). This starts Windows with a basic set of drivers and should allow you to look in Device Manager for problems. Drivers should then be available from the link provided by selfbuild.

gcs_uk 21:29 03 Aug 2005

Thats the problem - thanks Eric10 - I had this before and for the life of me could not remember how to resolve it.

I need to install the drivers for the graphics card.

Though I do have one question what is self build link

Stuartli 21:44 03 Aug 2005

selfbuild is the nickname of the forum member who posted the words "Try starting by click here"..:-)

The click here in blue is the link.

Al94 21:59 03 Aug 2005

I think he means what is selfbuild's link - it seems to be a blank link

Completealias 22:01 03 Aug 2005

The link is working fine here

Al94 10:37 04 Aug 2005

Sorry, discovered I had a problem with I E, none of my links were working! Now resolved.

gcs_uk 20:14 04 Aug 2005

Oh yes - stupid me - doh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?