Driver Problem

wetterfugal? 16:09 15 Sep 2003

I have a problem posted earlier today which may be caused by this one. I have a ! in Hardware Manager, It refers to an unidentified Item, The only thing missing is the "Display Driver" which should be a Radion 7000 graphics card. I have down loaded the latest driver but after I have deleted the item and reinstalled the new driver via "Have Disk" the install program starts and half way through it stops and says "Unable to continue Setup, try installing a standard driver first then try again".

If I delete again and look for a "standard driver" I can't find one and there is nothing that I can see resembling The ATI card. What can I do?

mark500 16:14 15 Sep 2003

Go to control panel. Right click on the offending item and uninstall it. Restart and see if windows picks up the hardware again. If that fails try to take out the card and reinsert it after gently cleaning the gold contacts.

johnbhoy 16:23 15 Sep 2003

Wetterfugal - I have the same graphics card and had the same problem, I resolved it by doing the following

1. Boot into safe mode

2. Run exe program for updated driver.

3. When asked where to extract files to, choose a directory on your hard drive and unpack files to it.

4. Do not let install program run, cancel after unpacking drivers.

5. Go into hardware manager and select video driver, then select update driver and point it to look in directory where you unpacked files.

6. After driver has been updated, reboot PC and your drivers should be updated.

I also had to install the VIA chipset drivers again for my motherboard, after updating drivers for video card.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

wetterfugal? 16:35 15 Sep 2003

I have previously deleted the driver and rebooted and the unidentified item was back again but I did not clean the card, I have 'waggled' it around a bit.

Johnboy, I shall try What you say, it looks promising. I shall leave my post up until after tea and try it out, Thank you both for your prompt replies, Get back to you later .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?