Driver needed for windows 98

skidzy 18:13 02 Feb 2007

Hello everyone,and thankyou for your time in reading this.

Ok ive installed windows 98 on an old laptop,Dell xpi

I have no manual,every thing has gone well up to now,im trying to install an IEEE 802.11G Wlan 11G pcmcia card.The card is recognised and the cd driver installs ok,but the driver does not work and im advised to update the driver.This laptop has no internet access,so im looking for a driver that i can install from disc.

Im not really 100% sure that this card will run on windows 98 but im giving it a go.

Windows also asks for the driver from the 98 disc,this has been tried also and still no joy.

I think ive covered everything to date.All help and advice is greatly appreciated thankyou.

FreeCell 18:18 02 Feb 2007

I suspect IEEE 802.11G post dated Windows98 by some years so manufacturer may not have produced a Win 98 driver. Try this site to see if there is one that works.
click here

skidzy 18:38 02 Feb 2007

Thankyou Freecell had a look and could not find anything.I agree with you that a driver is probably not availble but im trying anyway.
I really appreciate all the advice.

surfmonkey #:@}© 18:49 02 Feb 2007

is your IEEE 802.11G Wlan 11G pcmcia card made by AVERATEC

skidzy 18:52 02 Feb 2007

Hi surfmonkey #:@}© no im afraid not,well i dont think so...the only info i have is Edup on the package,no doubt its something else rebadged.
Though if you have a 98 driver, i would try it.

surfmonkey #:@}© 19:04 02 Feb 2007

on driversguide.com when i type in IEEE 802.11G Wlan 11G pcmcia card there is showing a win 98 driver for it on there but the card is make by AVERATEC IEEE 802.11G Wlan 11G pcmcia card
click here
you may have to sing up but its free and a good place to get drivers from

skidzy 19:32 02 Feb 2007

Driverguide being a pain surfmonkey #:@}©,had this before when trying to validate the account.Maybe i shall try tomorrow when not so busy.
Thanks for your advice,will try again tomorrow now.

skidzy 15:47 03 Feb 2007

Just going to bump this incase any more ideas please.

In an ideal world and if it is possible to find a driver for 98 and the wlan card loading on onto a floppy would be great..... miracle maybe...lets see.

All advice greatly appreciated.

FreeCell 16:13 03 Feb 2007

Skidzy
These Ralink 802.11 G drivers indicate in the text that they support Win 98. Haven't got any way of verifying but may be worth a try.

skidzy 16:25 03 Feb 2007

Thankyou freecell,
i get error code 1F6 (now going to research this).The main problem ive got,is getting device manager to point to the drivers that i have loaded via floppy either to desktop or documents...this will not let me,only going to the windows based driver...this i know is so out dated.

Im only trying to get this lappy going for one one of my boys,so he can mess about annd learn a bit.

I have managed to pick up a couple of drivers that have loaded on to floppy and cd,but like i say...its getting windows to point to them.

Cheers for the help.

skidzy 16:34 03 Feb 2007

Ok,found a few things to read regarding the 1F6 error code...will look at this later.

After having a little tinkering,device manager now says the device is working ok,but going to the configuration of the adapter...says not installed !

Now im getting really lost.

The only thing i can think of,its something in the bios maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?