Driver needed to see HDD?

Catastrophe 17:43 05 Feb 2011

I recently bought a good Lian Li system including Abit KD7 MB and included CPU and RAM, all of which had been working.

eBay Item number: 180615937746

Using OS disk to install, the HDD cannot be seen. I have never ever encountered this as usually I just install the OS without difficulty.

Does this MB actually require a driver to enable it to see the HDD? Maybe this is the software mentioned in the eBay description?

Actually I did encounter something similar a while back where a driver was required for something but the pc could not be scanned on the Internet without the driver it was trying to install already being present. I forget whether this was resolved, but I think it was a graphics card,not the HDD.

Any ideas please on how to get this working?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

woodchip 17:49 05 Feb 2011

If you bought the bits including Hard Drive from Ebay I do not hold out much hope for the drive as Software can be used to make the drive look okay but it will not load windows, in other word it needs to go to the tip

woodchip 17:51 05 Feb 2011

If its a Sata with nothing on it then you need to go to the Drive Manufacturers or motherboard for Sata Drivers. and load it first before os

GaT7 17:51 05 Feb 2011

The motherboard does not have a SATA hard disk interface (click here) so unlikely that drivers are needed to be able to recognise a IDE drive.

I also notice that the PC was sold as 'For parts or not working' so perhaps the answer lies there.

Try another IDE connector on the motherboard & another known working IDE cable.

If no joy, can you try another working IDE hard drive just for temporary testing? G

woodchip 17:51 05 Feb 2011

Did Windows ask for a driver when you tried loading the OS?

Catastrophe 17:52 05 Feb 2011

woodchip

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

The HDD is perfectly OK. I have fitted in another PC as master and installed (successfully) XP on it in perfect working order, just to prove it is OK.

Simsy 17:55 05 Feb 2011

a SATA hard drive, and you are trying to install Win XP?

If so you will need the SATA drivers, which need to be installed via floppy, early in tehs etup

Could it be this?

Regards,

Simsy

Catastrophe 17:55 05 Feb 2011

Crossbow7
It is IDE, not SATA.

woodchip
'Did Windows ask for a driver when you tried loading the OS?'

No. OS loaded from cd but when I tried to load onto HDD it said no HDD present.

GaT7 17:57 05 Feb 2011

"It is IDE, not SATA."

Isn't that what I said?

Try another IDE connector, or swap with the optical drive. Also use try another cable as suggested. G

Catastrophe 18:01 05 Feb 2011

Crossbow7
'I also notice that the PC was sold as 'For parts or not working' so perhaps the answer lies there.'

I don't think so. I thought he meant needed OS software but now I think he meant MB cd.

I have found a similar MB which includes manual and MB cd. The guy was very helpful and gave me link to download driver but I am stuck in the old 'catch 22' that I cannot use the working pc for the site to scan because it will not work without the driver I want to download. Using another pc the site wants to scan the pc I am using - NOT the one the driver is intended for.

Catastrophe 18:04 05 Feb 2011

Crossbow7
'Try another IDE connector on the motherboard & another known working IDE cable.

If no joy, can you try another working IDE hard drive just for temporary testing? G'

Have tried swapping connectors and cables. No luck.

Can try another HDD but, as stated, swapping that pc HDD into another pc and it formatted and loaded XP no problem. Actually it was already formatted NTFS but I formattede again so I believe HDD is OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?