Driver Max choices

Muergo 16:40 16 Feb 2011

I am using Driver Max to update many drivers on my new P.C. and am presented with a list of choices.

How do I go about choosing a particular driver apart from the language.

chub_tor 17:24 16 Feb 2011

The top one on the list is the most recent and is the one I usually select.

Graphicool1 17:33 16 Feb 2011

Also try to get signed drivers. The others can be suspect. Where possible look for your drivers at their source, ie the makers of your hardware. I've been having problems with driver finders recently ~ this includes Driver Max ~ they been telling me they have updates for my hardware and when I've checked with the manufactures I have already got the latest ones. Be very cautious.

Woolwell 17:43 16 Feb 2011

Why do you want to update the drivers? I have found that it is not necessary to update drivers unless you experience problems and it is probably graphics and gaming that causes the most snags. I have also found that it is better to go to the manufacturer's site rather than rely on programs to find drivers. You only have to look at this forum to see problems with updating drivers.

Muergo 18:15 16 Feb 2011

I was trying to find a driver for my CanoScan D2400U scanner, now I have Windows 7 on my newPC the XP driver won't work and Canon hasn't issued one.

While I was doing that, DriverMax did a scan of all my drivers and came up with a list of those out of date.

They relate to
Intel Chipset Storage Controllers
System devices
Chipsetss for PCI Express root various ports

USB Mass storage device

Various Intel controllers. etc

Are you saying that these don't need updating or is there a better safer source to obtain them?

Woolwell 19:13 16 Feb 2011

The manufacturers are a better source. My opinion is that if things aren't broke then leave alone ie don't update drivers unnecessarily. On a new machine they shouldn't need much changing. The ones you list I am surprised need updating. I am suspicious of programs like Driver Max. I doubt if it would have found a driver for your scanner. I would have started with the Canon site, then the Windows 7 compatibility site, done an internet search and then if stuck asked on this forum.

Woolwell 19:24 16 Feb 2011

It would seem that Canon haven't issued a Windows 7 driver. I assume that you have 64 bit and in which case you may be stuck as the one for Vista was for 32 bit. Someone else here may be able to help though.

Muergo 19:52 16 Feb 2011

I have both discs 32 &64 but asked Arbico to put 32bit in precisely because my Canon printer and scanner are expensive to replace, I need 6 x6 120 rollfilm format, and I was warned that I might have trouble with 64bit drivers.

Canon do a W7 driver for the printer but not the scanner.

I will leave all the other drivers alone for the time being and concentrate on finding a way of using my D2400U scanner on W7.

Muergo 20:35 16 Feb 2011

Anybody heard of or used Driver Genius?

They claim to have a W7 driver for my Canon D2400U scanner but I have to download it before I can see if it's true.

Just being a bit cautious for a change.

Woolwell 20:50 16 Feb 2011

I doubt that they have one. See click here which has had a discussion about a driver.

chub_tor 21:07 16 Feb 2011

I tend to disagree about Driver Max. If used wisely I have found it an invaluable tool particularly for getting the latest drivers on machines I have been asked to repair. Putting the latest set of drivers on a machine that has been neglected for years can do wonders for performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?