Drive recovery software

Rent 14:23 17 Sep 2009

The boot sector of my hard drive is corrupted so I cannot communicate with it normally in Windows. I have connected my drive to another pc via usb port and used a trial version Stellar Phoenix Windows data recovery to find all my files on the drive but when I click on Recover it tells me I need to purchase the software in order to do this. Looks good software but at £70 looks a bit expensive. Wondered if there were any cheaper or even free programmes to recover my files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:34 17 Sep 2009

Disk Investigator click here
PCInspector click here
Easyrecovery click here
Testdisc click here

Rent 14:41 17 Sep 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat, I'll give your suggestions a go.

BRYNIT 15:53 17 Sep 2009

You could also try Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express
click here

Strawballs 16:02 17 Sep 2009

I did it by leaving it in the machine and booting from a live CD Ubuntu and was then able to access the documents and save them to memory stick.

I was then able to repair corrupt boot sector using the drive makers (Hitachi) diagnostic software, burned it to disc on another machine then booted from that.

Rent 21:33 17 Sep 2009

Looks like PCInspector is doing the business. Found all my files on the corrupted HDD and is now saving them to another HDD. Will have ago at repairing the boot sector when I have recovered the files. Thanks for the help guys.

woodchip 23:02 17 Sep 2009

At the Command Prompt, C:\>

Type FIXMBR press enter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?