Drive re-Allocation

wee eddie 12:21 27 Nov 2004

I use a ZIP USB Drive (100Mg) to keep copies of my work

My old IBM Aptiva came to the end of its life and a local business built me a replacement into a MiniQ Case - Intel Celeron 2600, XP Home, 512Mg RAM. Apparently it has a Linux Partition that allows it to operate without Windows. No use to me but it has so I could.

The Problem: Before I copy my file system onto a ZIP Disk, I Format it.

However, when I try to Format the Zip Disk: > Properties > Format > I get a Pop-up box which says: > “Because the disk in drive C: is your boot disk, IomegaWare will not format the disk”.

“My Computer” displays the drives as follows, when the ZIP Drive is connected. When the ZIP is disconnected, C: is unallocated.

A - 3½ Floppy
B – Unallocated, I assume that this is the hidden Linux partition.
C – Zip 100
D – DVD-RW Drive
E – Local Disk

My guess is that the Local Disk should be allocated to C: rather than E:

Then the ZIP Drive would be allocated to E: when it is plugged in, or is the problem deeper?

However I am not sure if I should change the current allocation.

I have a set of instructions as to how to do it, but have not the relevant knowledge to know whether this is the right course of action.

Technotiger 12:26 27 Nov 2004

Hi, yes Local Disk should be C, so I would say it is safe to go ahead as you have the instructions. Cheers.

wee eddie 17:10 27 Nov 2004

I have no idea why, so Changed ZIP to F:

I can now Format the ZIP Disks.

wee eddie 10:44 29 Nov 2004

Can you change a Drive's Allocation, when it is the drive you are operating at the time?

I am assuming that Windows is on the "LocalDisk" and I assume that that is why Windows will not allow me to change it's own Drive Letter Allocation.

As the ZIP Drive was allocated to "C:" I am assuming that there is nothing else on that.

If anyone can tell me, simply, how to do it. I shall. although it would only be to tidy up the system.

wee eddie 15:50 19 Dec 2004

It may not be sensible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?