Drive not recognised

Kalb 20:39 21 Mar 2003

m/b FIC, Award bios,AMDK6 with Fujitsu 4MB HDD running 98SE. Obtained a Seagate 10MB HDD & firmatted & loaded WinXP with Seagate as the only drive. Now when I connect dual ide cable with Seagate as master & Fujitsu as slave it doesn't recognise the master drive only the slave drive & loads Win98. I would like to use the Fujitsu as a data storage & backup but how do I get the puter to recognise the master drive before I reformat the old drive. Any suggestions would be welcome

flecc 20:43 21 Mar 2003

Have you got the drives connected correctly?

Master at the end connector, slave on the centre connector closest to the master end, motherboard on the farthest connector.

Megatyte 20:44 21 Mar 2003

Are your drive jumpers set for master and slave?

AH

howard60 20:45 21 Mar 2003

the jumpers correctly set master and slave not cable select. Also the position of the drives on the ide cable are important. The master goes on the end of the cable and the slave in the middle.

Kalb 21:03 21 Mar 2003

Thanks for prompt responses ...master & slave jumpers are correct..but because the case is a desktop the slave drive has to go on its side quite a way from the master drive & the only way I could get the ide cable to reach was to use the blue connector (longest length) on the slave the middle connector on the master and the short end on the m/b....so that is the problem. So it is essential to have the cable blue end to m/b, centre connector to slave and far end black connector to master... why doesn't it say so on the ide cable package....is the cable unidirectional ? Will have to find another location for the slave drive.Thanks for your help guys.

Megatyte 21:10 21 Mar 2003

Just change the physical positions of the two drives.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?