Drive Letters and Norton System Works

Sapins 09:38 03 Jun 2003

I recently downloaded Letter Assigner (via this forum, thanks for that @BJ@) to make the drive letters on my dual boot system, 98SE and XP, the same; it was a bit confusing looking for files in different drives. I used the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article-307844 to change the letters in XP, no problems there, it was 98SE that I was having trouble with hence the attempt with Letter Assigner.
I soon found out that a lot of programmes would not work because, I presume, the short cuts where pointing to the wrong drive. My question is, can I re-assign the drive letters with Letter Assigner and then use the Norton One Button Checkup facility to re-assign the short cuts or do I have to re-install the programmes? Is this the only problem I will encounter or are there other things to look out for? By the way Letter Assigner works very well, and it is easy to use
Regards,
Sapins

flecc 12:19 03 Jun 2003

I don't know if the Norton facility will work, but if not, you can easily change the shortcuts.

Just right click any shortcut that doesn't work after the change, select Properties on the context menu, and then change the Drive Letter in the "Target" box and if applicable, the "Start In" box lines. OK the change and that's it, very simple.

Also, if you have Partition Magic, it includes Drive Letter Mapper which will make the changes for you on a computer wide basis for any drive letters you specify.

Sapins 17:50 03 Jun 2003

Thanks for that flecc. I'll do that later on. I havn't got Partition Magic can I download it?
Regards,
Sapins

Sapins 17:50 03 Jun 2003

Thanks for that flecc. I'll do that later on. I havn't got Partition Magic can I download it?
Regards,
Sapins

flecc 20:34 03 Jun 2003

PM can be downloaded but it costs quite a lot if that's the only use for it.

You'll find altering the shortcuts is very easy though, something I've done on multiple systems many times following partition changes. Once you've done one you'll race through them in seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone