Drive letter re-assignment ?

Khyron 16:05 26 Apr 2010

I have a Free-agent external drive which is (or was) drive (I) and now it is drive (J). I have not changed this, it has always been drive (I) ever since I first plugged it in and it has always been plugged in to the same USB.........but now that it is drive (J) some of the programs installed on it will not work because the path has changed. Why has this happened and more importantly can it be changed back to what it was ?

Pineman100 16:14 26 Apr 2010

Windows will automatically allocate drive letters, and may re-allocate these when new drives are added (such as USB drives, etc.).

However you can allocate a permanent drive letter to a drive. I suggest that you choose a drive letter well up the alphabet, to ensure that it never gets in the way of other drives. I have allocated X: to my backup drive.

Make sure your external drive is connected and running.

Click Start, then right-click Computer.

In the menu, click Manage.

When the Computer Management window opens, click Disk Management.

Identify the external drive, and right-click on it. In the menu click on Change Drive Letter & Paths...

Allocate your chosen drive letter.

Khyron 16:40 26 Apr 2010

That's done the trick thanx........some of the programs have changed their drive paths as well, can these be changed back or will I have to re-install them ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?