drive letter changed after crash

patso 11:09 15 Oct 2007

after a crash trying to get a usb flash drive working i found my external hard drive letter has been changed from F to G .when i try open files thru short cuts windows is not finding the file ,obviously because they are saved as F/documets and settings-etc,what is the easiest way to restore this as there is games as well on the hard disc,also i lost all my restore points in the crash,any help please as i am thimking of doing a repair of xp home with the disc but am afraid i might lose all my documents and anything saved on my pc,thanks

gardener 11:39 15 Oct 2007

Go to Conrtol Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on the disk you want to change and click 'Change Drive Letters and Paths'. You can choose from a drop-down list of letters.

gardener 11:40 15 Oct 2007

That should read 'Control Panel'.

patso 12:16 15 Oct 2007

ok thanks gardener i done what you told me and cant revert back to F as the dropdown will only stare at g now,in my comp i have a drive called F its an external dvd writer,that must have been changed as well,any ideas thanks again

gardener 12:23 15 Oct 2007

You need to change the drive letter for the dvd writer, change it to X or Y using the above procedure. Then go back and repeat the process described to change back the drive you want as F, the letter should be in the drop-down box now.Then right click on the dvd drive and change that back to whatever it was originally. It's all letter juggling but it works.

patso 13:41 15 Oct 2007

thanks again gardener will do cheers and thanks for the useful info nd for replyoing to my question cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone