Drive letter change and more

shellship 15:08 10 Nov 2008

I wanted to connect my mobile phone to my XP computer using the supplied USB lead. To start with Windows said that device was faulty. I then took out and put back USB. When I went to Control Panel I found that one of my two optical drives (D) was now called "Phone". Tried to transfer some photos but now even after removing phone USB the "D" drive is not recognised as an optical drive and when I try to open it to play something on it, it immediately closes again. Tried system restore several days back but Windows cannot restore. Any thoughts out there as to how this has happened and how I can get my optical drive to work again.

shellship 15:53 10 Nov 2008

Restarting computer was no good but after turning it off and then starting again at least the drive is now recognised and works OK - sigh of relief. However, although My Computer correctly says its "type" is a CD drive its "name" is still MMC/SD which it never was. How can I alter this bit please.

rawprawn 15:57 10 Nov 2008

Control Panel> Admin Tools. > Computer management> Disk Management> Right click on the drive and choose Change Drive Letter

shellship 16:22 10 Nov 2008

Thanks but drive letter is OK. But, curiouser and curiouser, after I put audio CD in the "name" has now changed to "Audio CD". Will mark as resolved but still don't know how it happened and whether it will happen again next time I want to put more photos on my mobile phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?