Drive Image 7 - error messages and invisible files

Carafaraday 14:59 06 Oct 2004

I have finally managed to install DI7 but got the following error messages:-
FACTORY.EXE failed to install metwork adapter - check WINBOM
and
No Network interface Cards (NIC) were detected

I am optimistically assuming that these only apply if you want to use a network ........?

Thanks to Wuggy, CurlyWhirly, and redbreast's various comments I have ascertained that the backup image I have made 'is valid'.

One problem I have encountered is the size of the hard drive (c) which I backed up. It is 12.3 gb, but windows xp is only around 2gb, and programme files are 4.45gm - documents are tiny as most are stored on the other partition. Where and what are all these other files?

Any ideas would be welcomed.

CurlyWhirly 15:12 06 Oct 2004

I am optimistically assuming that these only apply if you want to use a network ........?

Yes these error messages do indeed come up BECAUSE you don't have a Network Interface Card present!
I have been using Drive Image 7 for around 18 months and when I restore the backup these 2 messages ALWAYS come up and so just ignore them!
As long as afterwards you arrive at the PQRE main page then everything is alright!

Carafaraday 15:48 06 Oct 2004

CurlyWhirly - thanks for your reply - I also sometimes get a message when I reboot the pc that a network is not connected but I just ignore that too!

Can anyone shed any light on the invisible files? I'd really like to reduce the size of the DriveImage backup - then it could go on my external hard drive.

CurlyWhirly 16:18 06 Oct 2004

Can anyone shed any light on the invisible files? I'd really like to reduce the size of the DriveImage backup - then it could go on my external hard drive.

Do you use compression?
I think there are the options of none, low, medium and high.
I normally use low as I have a 80 Gb external hard drive so saving space isn't all that important to me.
Bear in mind the higher the compression rate the longer it takes to restore the backup.

Carafaraday 16:31 06 Oct 2004

CurlyWhirly..

I just used the default compression - medium, I think it was - it seems to have reduced the 12.3gb to around 7.5gb. I was optimistically thinking I'd be able to put everything onto a 6gb external hard drive but I suspect that was just wishful thinking - in the meantime, I've put the backup image onto the partition.

Since this is basically an insurance policy, I don't suppose I'll be too worried about the time taken to restore, as long as it works ok! I might copy the original windows xp stuff (stored on yet another partition - no cd) to the external drive in the meantime - it;s only 4gb.

I am still intrigued to know where all the gbs have come from - I suppose system restore points will account for quite a bit but I am reluctant to delete them.

Thanks for your replies.

Carafaraday 22:44 06 Oct 2004

I am hoping that the late shift will be able to enlighten me - why such a big c: drive?

User-312386 22:54 06 Oct 2004

why not use the "high" compression? I do and have no problems at all

Have you updated DI7? if not click here

If you use the high compression, i would hope it would fit on the 6gb drive

Not a good idea to put DI on a partition by the way, if you do and the drive fails, then you have lost everything

CurlyWhirly 23:05 06 Oct 2004

I agree with madboy33©® as using medium compression you were able to get it down to 7.5 gb so high should just about manage to compress it by another 1.5 gb enabling you to fit the backup on your 6gb hard drive!
Try it as you have nothing to lose.

Carafaraday 08:53 07 Oct 2004

Thanks, both - will try high compression and keep fingers crossed - will also update DI7 later.
Only thing that seems to have changed is that my external hard drive is now M and not L - don't know how that happened!?

Carafaraday 12:21 07 Oct 2004

Madboy33 (can't do the rest!) - I've just been looking at the update for DI7 - will take me 3 hours to download - I take it you are on broadband!!

User-312386 07:12 08 Oct 2004

you can download it

use a download manager click here for flashget, even if you get disconected it will resume for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone