Drive Image 7 backup query

CurlyWhirly 20:49 06 Aug 2005

After reading click here where the poster didn't make a backup and could possibly lose over 2 years worth of data this got me thinking hence this thread.

I currently have a 120 Gb hard drive which is performing okay at present but if anything went wrong with it in the future would it just be a matter of putting my new 160 Gb drive in (which I have already purchased but it is unformatted) and restoring my backup from my external hard drive and selecting the option "Resize drive to fill unallocated space" as there would be a 40 Gb 'gap' after restoring which hopefully this option should fill up?

I think I read in a recent PCA thread that both Norton Ghost and Drive Image 7 *can* restore backups to an unformatted drive so I have *no* need to format the drive beforehand then as I am trying to *avoid* having to restore Windows XP in the event of a hard drive failure as I was hoping to just restore the 'image' backup onto the new unformatted drive.

Am I asking the impossible here?
I have so far NOT had a hard drive failure so I haven't had any previous 'experience' (if you can call it that)

p.s. I *have* searched through the Symantec Knowledge Base but couldn't find an answer to my query and I susect it is because Drive Image 7 has now been replaced by Norton Ghost so I expect product support is less as a result?

Cheers

mark2 21:01 06 Aug 2005

A long time since I had to restore an image, but I seem to remember restoring a NTFS image to a partition formatted as FAT32, DI7 formatted and resized the relevant partition succesfully.

CurlyWhirly 21:05 06 Aug 2005

Thanks mark2

So in the event of a hard drive failure then DI7 *automatically* sorts everything out for me and so therefore I have *no* need to tick the "Resize drive to fill unallocated space" option then?

*If* so it is even easier to restore my hard drive backup then I thought!

mark2 21:56 06 Aug 2005

I did have to select the resize option I believe, it is along time since I tinkered with the partitions on this system, but it certainly changed it from Fat32 to NTFS

Chegs ® 21:57 06 Aug 2005

I dunno if this info's any use,but previously I restored an image of my PC and it not only restored the C:\wimpdoze partition,but also recreated all my partitioning(unfortunately,it deleted all my files stored in other partitions)This was with DI5 from CDR's,back when I was running 98se.

Lately,I have experimented with the DI images,I restored an IDE image of XP onto SATA,it threw several BSODs until I reinstalled a few driver files,but was able to put the image(15Gb IDE HDD)onto 120Gb SATA.

As I have PM8,I tend to partition the SATA drives before I restore any images now.

I would still tick the resize option tho',else your likely to find that XP's management will leave a chunk of your drive with (Unknown) space.

CurlyWhirly 22:29 06 Aug 2005

Thanks mark2 and Chegs ®

I am relieved to know that in the event of a hard drive failure all I have to do is unplug the faulty drive and plug the new (unformatted) one in and then just run DI7 and tick that option and wait around 20 minutes for my PC to be in a working state again!

I just want to make sure that I *dont* end up like the poster of the thread that I linked to in my original post as better safe than sorry.

CurlyWhirly 22:30 06 Aug 2005

p.s. I would have replied sooner but it took 3 attempts to get my reply to post as I kept getting timed out :0(

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?