Drive Image 5 Error message 3- XP 2nd edition

hwm 16:49 21 Dec 2007

I have used Powerquest Drive Image 5.0 many times in the past on Win 98. It is specified as suitable for XP. When trying to use it to fully clone to another hard drive (XP to XP) it throws up an Error 3 report. Both the master and slave currently have XP 2nd edition installed. The slave is also set active. Both work okay as Master and slave and both will boot independently.

Powerquests website does not seem to be available any more.

Does anyone have any advice on how to over write my present slave to make it a perfect copy of the master? Thanks, George Wilson

stevo28 19:46 21 Dec 2007

George,

not sure if ver5.0 fully supports winodws xp 2nd edition/xp sp2? I believe Powerquest merged with Symantec with it's drive imaging technology. I have success using norton ghost 2003 for backups of windows xp sp2, although have not used the clone function.

Might be worth installing hd on secondary ide channel & set jumper to master; also might be worth unnistalling & reinstalling drv image.

hope this may be of some help.many thanks

woodchip 20:25 21 Dec 2007

It's not made to work with NTFS and XP

woodchip 20:26 21 Dec 2007

You need Acronis True Image 9 or above

hwm 10:53 08 Jan 2008

Many thanks to the three kind resondents to my query. I have tried the suggested change to put the hard drives on different channels with no success Both drives are 80 gig capacity which is the limit quoted in the manual. Booting from the recovery disks gives access to both drives but one is shown as "BAD" and no disk contents are shown. This HD is my Master and works perfectly. To make sure I have used the Recovery Console which is on my WinXP 2nd edition disk but still no success.
Has anyone any further suggestions or ideas?
Many thanks. George

stevo28 15:59 08 Jan 2008

with cloning method maybe remove partitions from the slave drive with win xp disk before using drive image 5.0!??

last year i was fortunate to gett a free imaging program, supplied on disc with a pc magazine so keep your eyes peeled!

hwm 19:51 08 Jan 2008

Thanks Stevo 28.

I have previously cloned drives with full active partitions with no problems - Drive Image reminding me that everything would be wiped if I proceeded.
I do have some free imaging software but I am ignorant as to how much and what sort of content I could image. For instance could the registry be copied or only data? Some programs used to place DLL's in the Windows System folders - not sure if they still do that in XP.
Regards, George.

stevo28 09:34 09 Jan 2008

hi george,

i would give the free imaging software a whirl, obviously backup your most important documents & files;
some more suggestions - check for any viruses(inc in the mbr), spyware,malware on the master hd, plus run a full defrag and scandisk check; some of this might be affecting the clone?

there's a fully functional (15 day evaluation)disk imaging program downloadable at drive-image.com;

thanks, Steve

woodchip 16:49 09 Jan 2008

With Acrons True Image, it backs up all the Contents of the Partition or drive when you create a Image, It also backs up the Partition information, so that it can be installed to a new or Virus riddled drive. Putting the drive back just as to the time you created the Image. I have no idea if free ones will do this or if they will work with XP. the Image is only good if it can be restored

hwm 18:00 19 Jan 2008

Drive Image 5 still not functioning but I have succeeded in copying Hard Drive by using "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.0 Special Edition" which came as a full working program on PC Advisor DVD February 2008 Issue.

Many thanks for the interest and advise received which has led to a satisfactory outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?