A: Drive Error

tradetroniks 12:21 02 Aug 2007

Hello all,

I have an old Advent PC and I decided to set it up again for the kids, however I am now having nothing but problems with it, it keeps saying A: Drive Error on start up and for the life of me I cannot work out what its about, I was always under the impression that A: Drive was my Floppy Drive so I made sure it was connected properly (nothing) so I disconnected it completely (nothing again) it just always says the same thing. Without sorting this problem I cannot load to windows etc, so I am in need of a little help.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

johndrew 12:30 02 Aug 2007

Is there a disk in the drive?

Is the drive correctly set up in BIOS? If the CMOS battery was flat/removed the BIOS settings will be lost.

Is the drive access light coming on at all? Could be a drive controller problem if it`s not.

Or you could try looking here click here

TonyM 12:38 02 Aug 2007

IS the cable the right way round ...I had a similar problem in a machine I built - it is possible to put a floppy drive ide cable in the wrong way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 02 Aug 2007

You need to get into the BIOS (Setup) there will be a message as you boot

"Press ? to enter setup"

where ? could be del esc or a F key

In the BIOS look to see if the Floppy disk controller (FDC) is switched on (enabled). If disable then enable then save and exit to reboot the PC.

If FDC is enabled try looking for other things mentioning the floppy, you could change the boot order so that it bbots from the hard drive C beforethe floppy A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?