Drive for CD/DVD

Toria 21:32 21 Jan 2008

Hi, I clicked on the shortcut for my CD/DVD and a message came up, which read: THIS APPLICATION HASFAILED TO START BECAUSE PX.dll WAS NOT FOUND. RE-INSTALLING THE APPLICATION MAY FIX THIS PROBLEM. I cannot install as the Drive is not coming up. I did a shut down/restart but that didn't help either - any advice please?

MAJ 22:21 21 Jan 2008

Try going to Device Manager, double-click on the drive's entry, click the Drivers tab and Uninstall button. Then reboot your PC and let Windows reinstall the CD drive again.

Toria 22:41 21 Jan 2008

Hi MAJ, Didn't work, when I go to run it is only showing the C: Drive, although I have a DVD in the drive, which is not showing up, the light flashes when I first put it in, you feel the vibration and then it stops and the light is not on anymore.

MAJ 22:46 21 Jan 2008

The PX.dll file should be in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder, Toria. Check and see if it's there. If it isn't, let us know which version of Windows you're using.

Grey Goo 22:56 21 Jan 2008

Are you trying to use winamp at all.

Toria 08:47 27 Jan 2008

Hi Maj, Have checked and WINDOWS\system32 folder is there, wait to hear what to do next please Maj. Thanks, Toria.

Grey Goo - don't know what winamp is?

Toria 15:16 27 Jan 2008

Hi anyone, I've not had a response to my last thread, maybe because it is Sunday. I am desperate to get it sorted as I need to install photos from a CD for a programme that I am working on.

Grey Goo 18:01 27 Jan 2008

As PX.dll is not a Windows file, is it possible that you were trying to install a program when you got this message, if so what was the programme.

Grey Goo 18:06 27 Jan 2008

Or you can try and install PX.dll from here and see if it helps
click here

Toria 06:18 28 Jan 2008

Installed PX.dll, hasn't made any difference. I am trying to reinstall MATSHITA CDRW/DVD UJDA760. If I go to Device Manager, Hardware it is showing that it is there. I have also tried Control Panel, System, entering D: for Drive and reconnect at logon, but still no joy, as I said earlier it does light up and vibrates as if it is going to work and then stops and nothing happens, also unable to see drive if I do Run...

skidzy 07:12 28 Jan 2008

Something to try;

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?