drink spilled on keyboard

liloldlady 09:35 15 Sep 2013

Hi, I spilled a small amount of beer on my keyboard, it was at the bottom of the keyboard, the two buttons you use to go right or left click when not using your mouse. The laptop went off immediately and now after one night of placing in the airing cupboard and blowing a hairdrier on it it still wont work. Any suggestions please.....Thanks

The Kestrel 09:41 15 Sep 2013

Links to two articles below that may help you.

click here

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

wee eddie 13:06 15 Sep 2013

The fact that it "went" off, as opposed to your turning it off, suggests that some of the liquid has got inside.

So I think you have to be prepared for the worst.

onthelimit1 13:18 15 Sep 2013

New keyboards for laptops are generally 10 - 20 quid and take a few minutes to fit. Make and model of laptop?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 15 Sep 2013

I agree with wee eddie on this one, a new keyboard is unlikely to help, sounds as if a strip down and dry out of motherboard is required and that may not work so be prepare to claim off your insurance.

rdave13 17:25 15 Sep 2013

HP laptops ususally have the CPU situated under top left of the keyboard near the 1,2,3 and Q keys. If the beer trickled down to the CPU then I agree it's not looking good. Where the arrow keys are I should think the hard drive isn't far. Can you open the HDD compartment, remove the drive, check for stickiness on any connection then try to clean gently. Replace the drive and try it. It could be the same for the RAM compartment.

rdave13 17:25 15 Sep 2013

HP laptops ususally have the CPU situated under top left of the keyboard near the 1,2,3 and Q keys. If the beer trickled down to the CPU then I agree it's not looking good. Where the arrow keys are I should think the hard drive isn't far. Can you open the HDD compartment, remove the drive, check for stickiness on any connection then try to clean gently. Replace the drive and try it. It could be the same for the RAM compartment.

bumpkin 20:23 15 Sep 2013

"Hi, I spilled a small amount of beer on my keyboard,"

You were lucky it was only a small amount you could have wasted the whole glass.

onthelimit1 08:18 16 Sep 2013

Sorry, misread the original post - yes, the fact it turned the laptop off does look terminal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer